“Journalists Hope to Save Student Newspaper”

New Expression, a student publication in Chicago that exposed more than 4,000 teens to working journalism in its 32-year history, ended in October. The executive director of Youth Communication Chicago, the organization behind the pub: “It’s the economy, and the squeeze on nonprofits, and the crisis in the newspaper industry- it’s a perfect storm.”

———–

New Expression Story

———–

The story is only marginally connected to college j-students or campus media: Columbia College undergrads had participated in a related local schools’ outreach program teaching younger students about journalism basics and inspiring them to express their opinions on current affairs.  A Columbia College student told ABC7 News in Chicago, “New Expression was kind of their form of hope, because we go to environments that take away that hope completely from these kids. For us to come down there, to give them a chance to write, a chance to say what they want to say…”

———–

The ABC7 story hinted at a hope of saving the newspaper.  I saw no evidence of that in the report, however, and could not find anything online but a mention of a mid-November rally to flesh that out.  For the sake of student journalism, I hope more is done and those in the know please inform me how interested parties can help.