Daily Cal Blog Gives Its Two Cents- Whether You Like It or Not

It is everything a student-driven blog should be: informative, snarky, irreverent, relevant, and frequently updated. It is The Daily Clog, a blog run by a half-dozen student staffers at The Daily Californian at UC-Berkeley. As the about page notes, “We focus on the UC campus, the city of Berkeley and Berkeley’s online community. We give our two cents on all the goings-on—whether you like it or not.”

————-

The Daily Clog

————-

The headlines of a few recent posts really say it all: “This Week’s International Sign of the Apocalypse: French Cafes Get the Guillotine“; “How To: Eek! Get Ready for Finals” and “Symposium Scheduled on Whether Economic Fate of Public Universities Uglier than a Demonic Hairless Cat.” The latter was accompanied by the photo below, which made me laugh out loud half a world away. (Is he chewing on a shoelace or large french fry?

————-

Hairless Cat

————-

The Clog is a bit more than two years old and in recent months has become one of my favorite student newspaper blogs worldwide. It works because it is a wonderful complement to its print companion, in content and tone. It also features one of the funnier videos I have seen lately: “How Did They Dance?“, a vid showing members of a student improv comedy group randomly interrupting UC-Berkeley lecture classes with brief dance routines.

————-

How Did They Dance?

3 Responses to “Daily Cal Blog Gives Its Two Cents- Whether You Like It or Not”
  1. Katie says:

As a college instructor… I would absolutely LOVE it if one my students did the dance routine in class. :)

2. I am pleased to post my comment on your blog.

1. […] The problem, of course, is the open, honor-system set-up of the contest, making results about as reliable as an online CNN reader poll.  As one commenter to Go’s post noted: “I can’t believe anyone decided to read each blog and pick which one they liked best rather than just blindly vote for the one at their school.”  To me, it’s not about the winner.  It’s just nice to see a few good student blogs earn some recognition!  Btw, my vote: The Daily Clog, a standout blog I’ve written about previously. […]