Online Push for Campus Papers in the Philippines

The question asked in the headline of a recent Philippine Daily Inquirer piece: “Should campus papers go online?”

Student newspapers abound in the country, in part thanks to the government’s efforts at building up college journalism’s infrastructure that began with the adoption of the “Campus Journalism Act of 1991.”  The current national goal: a greater student press presence on the Web.

https://i1.wp.com/thelasallian.org/uploads/images/advocacy.jpg?resize=180%2C268

The LaSallian's motto: "Say No to I Don't Know."

One student paper at the forefront of the online push is The LaSallian at De La Salle University.  It boasts a site with attitude (see graphic above) and a solid CMS.  It is lacking in up-to-date content, however, with its last breaking news feature dating back to February.  In this respect, it exemplifies the chief concerns raised in the Daily Inquirer piece by another campus paper editor:

I think it would be a challenge for student newspapers to actually maintain an online site that updates itself, let’s say, everyday. Since we are student journalists—with papers and oral exams and other activities to do—I think that would take more effort and more time from us.

CMM promises: It can be done!

3 Responses to “Online Push for Campus Papers in the Philippines”
  1. Antony says:

I think it will be just time for Filipino students to catch up with technology and put up their student publications online.

Our school paper is now online via Schoolpaper.net. We just pay them small fee (less than 3,000 per year) and voila!

2. Kathy says:

It is possible. Here in UP Diliman, Journalism majors are maintaining (daily) an online publication, upjourn.net. During the recent USC elections, they actually got over 3,000 visitors.

3. shiela says:

A campus journalism online site is what were about to explore, as an editor-in-chief of our campus paper here at Nueva Vizcaya State University, it will be new experience to post our paper on the web.