Anti-Jihad Ad Causes Stir at UC-SB

An advertisement linking Muslims with terrorism has caused a mini-brouhaha at UC-Santa Barbara.  The Daily Nexus, the school’s student newspaper, ran the ad (from The David Horowitz Freedom Center) on page three of yesterday’s print edition, citing free speech and editorial-advertising separation.  The paper also ran a story ABOUT the ad (talk about free advertising!), explaining the staff’s decision and outlining various reader responses.

Here’s the paper’s description of the thing:

Appearing on page three, the advertisement – “Stop the Jihad On College Campuses” – claims the Muslim Student Association recruits and supports speakers who “are calling for the execution of gays, the killing of Jews and support the terrorist jihad against America.”

A member of the university’s Muslim Student Association told the Nexus:

I feel a little upset that the Nexus is printing this ad.  At the same time, I recognize the power of free speech in this country and it is up to us to educate people in our country about these very issues.

2 Responses to “Anti-Jihad Ad Causes Stir at UC-SB”
  1. […] Take a deep breath.  Accept the apology.  And realize, these things happen.  (One example.  One more.) Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Harvard Crimson Staffers Avoiding Journalism […]

2. […] Take a deep breath.  Accept the apology.  And realize, these things happen.  (One example.  One more.) Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Father Boniface Hardin and Martin […]