Suffolk Journal Starts International News Section

Kudos to Suffolk Journal editor Alex Pearlman for her initiative and outside-the-box thinking.  In a letter published earlier this week in the Journal, the student newspaper at Suffolk University in Boston, Pearlman announced the creation of an international news section.

It is an idea with a ton of merit, one that Pearlman wrote stemmed in part from her desire to resurrect quality international reporting: 

Interest in international reporting has recently taken a nosedive, forcing newspapers to close down foreign bureaus and rely solely on wire services like Associated Press and Reuters. As a journalism student, and I’m sure that a number of others in the Communication and Journalism department agree with me, this is a disheartening and upsetting development, especially for those hoping to become foreign correspondents one day.

The content plan: Suffolk students studying abroad in various global hotspots send in dispatches.  The study-abroaders get clips.  The Journal gets articles.  Suffolk student readers gain knowledge.  Everyone wins, especially college journalism.  Good luck!

2 Responses to “Suffolk Journal Starts International News Section”
  1. […] investigative journalism center, attempts at international news coverage by j-students at Suffolk, Swarthmore, and UMASS, online outlets boasting 24-hour coverage, and chatter about schools […]

2. […] investigative journalism center, attempts at international news coverage by j-students at Suffolk, Swarthmore, andUMASS, online outlets boasting 24-hour coverage, and chatter about schools […]