Journalist Spotlight: Emily Veach, Wall Street Journal Asia

Emily Veach is roughly a half-day ahead of you.  She recently arrived in Hong Kong, part of the larger “Wall Street Journal Copy Desk Diaspora” (an actual Facebook group).  She works nights.  She travels to Tapei on weekends and recently kayaked in the waters off Cheung Chau Island.  She enjoys playing “Rock Band.”  And she’s a twentysomething journalist worth knowing.

Emily Veach, Assistant News Editor at Wall Street Journal Asia, got her start at The Indiana Daily Student.

Emily Veach, assistant news editor at Wall Street Journal Asia, got her start at The Indiana Daily Student.

Who is she and how did she get to HK?  In a recent blog post, she explained:

Here’s me: A 26-year-old assistant news editor at The Wall Street Journal Asia who once walked the streets of West Lafayette [Indiana] with her best friend Annemarie dreaming of our future together as marine biologists . . . How did I morph from that daydreaming 9-year-old to the person I am today?

In part, Veach’s metamorphosis into WSJA editor extraordinaire began similarly to many professional journos at work worldwide today: Her stint as a college journalist.  Below is a brief Q&A exploring her student press experience and the role it has played in her professional journalistic journey:

1) What is your current position and general responsibilities?

I am assistant news editor at The Wall Street Journal Asia. I am responsible for the Economy & Politics pages of the paper. On any given night, I have between two and seven pages under my purview. I edit stories and art; write headlines; coordinate coverage with bureaus in Asia, Europe and the U.S.; and ensure my partner in crime is adequately fed.  We both work better that way.

2) Quick-hit summary of your college journalism experience.

Indiana Daily Student (Indiana University): copy editor, reporter, arts editor, paginator.

3) Write a six-word memoir of your time as a student journalist.

Turns out, writing sets me free.

4) How did the experience help you or shape your current work in the professional j-world?

My time at the IDS was a beginning for me, in terms of getting to know myself. For as much as we laughed at ourselves and lounged on comfortable couches, I learned a whole lot about professionalism and responsibility. Newspapers aren’t one-man shows, nor are they assembly lines. They need stars and they need good leaders. I saw my peers at the IDS scoring cool stories and organizing coverage of issues that mattered to us and to the thousands of people reading it every day. It made me want to be better every day.

5) What’s an example of a story on which you were especially proud to have reported or edited?

The IDS sent me along with another reporter, Elise LeBlanc, and a photographer, Nick Kapke, to New York City during the summer of 2002 to do research for the paper’s “Sept. 11, One Year Later” special section. We came back with some great stories. We fed off each other and are grateful still for the generosity of the people we met there. In particular, the staff from the Borough of Manhattan Community College, who shared so much and have so much to be proud of.

6) To all the j-student haters out there, why does college journalism matter?

It’s true: You learn more in the field than in the classroom.

7) What is one question we should all be asking much more often about the current state or future of journalism?

Are we having fun?

Read the full Q&A here