“Do Your Campus Newspapers Ignore the Issues and the Diversity of Student Voices?”

September 4: An announcement touting Campus Progress recently caught my eye.  In a press release, Campus Progress, a liberal-oriented political venture “helping young progressives come together, win the battle of ideas, and turn their ideas into action” announced that 10 new progressive student news outlets have joined their network of more than 50 publications operating at campuses nationwide.

Two of the 10 that are touted: The Fine Print at the University of Florida, which is “looking to break stories and talk about issues in-depth where the campus daily just doesn’t cut it.”; and The Bottom Line at the University of California Santa Barbara, aiming to serve “as a critical voice for students from covering LGBT rallies to talking about race issues at the school.”

In a promo poster enticing liberal-minded students to join this network, the organization asks: Do your campus newspapers ignore the issues and the diversity of student voices? Run your own paper or magazine and get money from Campus Progress to cover expenses. You’ll also be eligible to host a free journalism training ses­sion, bring nationally renowned journalists to your campus, and tap into our online publications network.”

Campus Progress is a project of the Center for American Progress, begun in 20003 by John Podesta, a former chief of staff to President Clinton.  Here is an interactive map showing the publication’s locations nationwide.  At first glance, as expected, it seems to boast a mostly East Coast-West Coast presence, sans Middle America and the flyover states.

A few examples:

What do you think?  Is there a progressive publication on your home campus?  Are they editorially impacting or just professionally funded?  Are there any similar conservative counterparts of note?  Certainly, any student press network boasting so many outlets deserves closer inspection.  From a free press angle, kudos to any organization willing to help student media exist and expand (as long as content is not being controlled in any way).

One Response to ““Do Your Campus Newspapers Ignore the Issues and the Diversity of Student Voices?””
  1. RDRohan says:

As a contributing writer and founding member of The Fine Print, I can vouch that we have not been controlled in any way by our affiliation with Campus Progress. Though they did provide the funding, it was our intention to run the magazine whether or not we received a grant, and for a while we funded the distribution and printing of our issues solely through out-of-pocket donations, advertisements for small local businesses and organizations, and various fundraising events. The creation of The Fine Print was a completely organic and grassroots effort. As for the content, we have the benefit of having excellent journalists who provide in-depth coverage of issues directly related to students and residents. There is a conservative “counterpart” in Gainesville called The Florida Frontier. I am unsure as to the source of funding, distribution, or level of journalism.